Home Breaking News Peshmerga Commander Calls Erbil Drone Strike That Killed French Soldier “Deeply Shocking”
Breaking NewsGovernment & Policy

Peshmerga Commander Calls Erbil Drone Strike That Killed French Soldier “Deeply Shocking”

A drone strike on a joint Peshmerga-French base near Erbil has killed one French soldier and wounded six others, drawing strong reactions from Kurdish and Iraqi leaders. Sirwan Barzani described the attack as “deeply shocking.”

Share
Share

ERBIL — Sirwan Barzani, commander of the Makhmour-Gwer front, has described the drone strike on a joint Peshmerga-French base near Erbil as “deeply shocking” after the attack killed one French soldier and wounded six others.

The strike targeted the Mala Qara base, located roughly 60 kilometers southwest of Erbil. Barzani visited the site following the incident and shared images showing the damage left by the attack.

French President Emmanuel Macron confirmed that a French soldier was killed in the strike and called the attack “unacceptable.” Six other French personnel were also injured.

Barzani said the incident was particularly disturbing given the role French forces and the Peshmerga have played in supporting Iraq’s security. Both forces have worked alongside the Iraqi army for years as part of the international coalition fighting Islamic State.

He stressed that neither the French forces nor the Peshmerga had taken part in the recent regional military operations, making the attack even harder to justify.

The strike occurred amid heightened tensions across the region following the outbreak of a broader conflict on February 28 involving Iran and a coalition led by the United States and Israel. Since then, the Kurdistan Region has experienced a surge in drone and missile activity.

Following the attack, Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed Shia’ al‑Sudani spoke with Macron and pledged to launch an investigation into the incident. He said the Iraqi government would take the necessary measures to prevent similar attacks from happening again.

In a separate call with Macron, Kurdistan Region President Nechirvan Barzani said it is the responsibility of the Iraqi federal government to set clear limits on illegal armed groups operating inside the country.

Local officials confirmed that no Peshmerga personnel were killed or injured in the strike.

France maintains hundreds of troops in the Kurdistan Region. Their mission focuses on training and advising Peshmerga forces as part of the global coalition against ISIS.

The incident comes during a period of sustained attacks targeting the Kurdistan Region. Nearly 300 drones and missiles have struck the area in recent weeks, many of them attributed to pro-Iran armed groups operating inside Iraq.

The death of the French soldier marks a serious escalation and highlights the growing risks facing international coalition forces stationed in the region.

Share
Written by
Soran Ari

Soran Ari is the founder and editor of Kurdish Weekly and a digital media entrepreneur. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in English Language and Literature from Queen's University and a diploma in Health, Wellness, and Fitness from Mohawk College. He covers Kurdish affairs and global news with a focus on impactful, community-driven reporting, and is also the creator of the ESL Kurd language learning app.

Related Articles
EconomyGovernment & Policy

Baghdad’s Wheat Policy Draws Kurdistan Region Protest Over Farmer Quotas

The Kurdistan Region has condemned Baghdad’s wheat procurement policy as unfair, warning...

Rojava security forces arrest tribal leader
Breaking NewsGovernment & Policy

Rojava Security Forces Arrest Tribal Leader After Attack on Kurdish Symbols in Qamishli

Rojava security forces arrested a tribal leader in Qamishli after authorities said...

Masrour Barzani
Government & PolicyEconomy

Masrour Barzani Discusses Energy and Security With U.S. Interior Secretary Doug Burgum

Masrour Barzani discussed energy and security cooperation with U.S. Interior Secretary Doug...